November 22, 2011

Cranberry Orange Muffins

 

Thanksgiving is right around the corner! But for some reason, when I went shopping this weekend, there weren't that many Thanksgiving things. At the grocery store, yes. Tons of stuffing, mashed potatoes, and etc. (Have you guys been to Costco lately? It is a bit overwhelming seeing extra-large boxes of stuffing mix piled high.) But at the mall and other retailers, it's all Christmas. Green and red. Not orange, yellow, red and brown. I guess people just mentally fast-forwarded to Christmas and forgot that Thanksgiving is staring at them right in the face. 

Personally, I like both holidays equally. Thanksgiving is filled with food and Christmas with food and presents. And as far as I'm concerned, I don't have to go to school on either holiday. (yipee! time to sleep in!)

Oh! Another perk of Thanksgiving - fresh cranberries at the grocery store! Cranberries don't exactly taste the best by themselves. They're tart (or should I just cut to the chase and say that they're downright sour) and they aren't juicy. They're delicious in a sauce, but isn't that a bit cliche? Every year on Thanksgiving, and maybe Christmas, you eat cranberry sauce. Let's change things up a bit.


Enter the cranberry orange muffin. It's okay if cranberries are meh by themselves. Add some sugar, orange juice and zest and there you have it, ladies and gentlemen - one delicious cranberry-orange muffin. Perfect for a snack, breakfast, lunch, or dinner! (Okay, that was more of an advertisement jingle -forget the lunch or dinner part. I had to add the lunch or dinner part to make it sound more professional and TV-worthy, you know.)

Oooohhh... Did I mention the corn meal in this recipe? Don't be tempted to forgo it and add some other random flour. Use corn meal!!! It gives the whole muffin this amazing texture. Almost like its crunchy, like corn bread, but not exactly like cornbread. And while I'm at the don't-forget-this-and-that-ingredient-list, just remember to put in the cranberries (obviously). I just wanted to state the obvious. 

Look down below for the recipe and Happy Thanksgiving!


Cranberry Orange Muffins
adapted from my former Home-Ec teacher's recipe
yields 12 muffins

Ingredients

1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cranberries, rinsed
3/4 tsp. orange zest


Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line the cups with cupcake liners.

Mix the wet ingredients (oil, egg, and milk) together in a large bowl.

Mix the dry ingredients (flour, corn meal, baking soda, sugar, salt, cranberries, and zest) in a second bowl. 

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. It's okay if there are some remaining lumps. Spoon batter into the muffin cups, making sure that all cups are equally filled.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.

8 comments:

  1. These sounds delicious. I like using polenta, it gives a nice texture, and in a case of cookies, a nice crunch. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of these muffins; because they consist of two of my favorite things!! Oh, make that Three! Cranberry, orange, muffin, LOVE-LY!!!:)

    Thanksgiving and Christmas are just so close to each other, and that means so much festivity and celebration, and SALES...LOL :)
    I wished we have Thanksgiving here too:p (But I still celebrate, with myself..hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i shud try these. they sound rlly yummy :)
    what home-ec recipe??? i dont rmbr!
    -u know who this is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three cookies - hmm.. I have never heard of using polenta in cookies. I must find a recipe and try it out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy - Yes! Sales! The next best thing after all that holiday comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I-know-who-you-are - Yes! They are really yummy! I adapted it from the chocolate chip muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these over the weekend and they were a great combination of flavors and I really enjoyed the addition of cornmeal. Sadly mine only made 10 muffins. Here is my blog post about it:
    http://lexslifeasanewwife.blogspot.com/2011/12/cranberry-orange-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lex- I'm so glad you enjoyed the flavor combo and the addition of the cornmeal! Your muffins look great! I think you were only able to make 10 muffins because you used more batter per muffin. I used less batter per muffin, so I got 12.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...