December 7, 2011

Cheddar and Jalapeño Biscuits - Revisited

 

I rarely make something twice. Perhaps it's because I cook for a hobby - what's the point of making something twice? The fun's gone the second time around. I already know (and expect) what's going to happen. I guess if I'm in charge of making dinner every night, I would have to start repeating recipes. But that's not the case. 

For some reason, as the holiday season started approaching, I wanted to eat some Cheddar and Jalapeño biscuits.Which was obviously weird (at least to me), since you (now) know, I don't repeat recipes. But I wanted my biscuits, badly, so I just threw my self-imposed rule out the window. (rules are meant for breaking anyway!) Before I knew it, I found myself tracking down that cheddar and jalapeño cheese I used last year. 

And oh-my-goodness, I was so not sorry for breaking my little tradition. The biscuits tasted just as yummy (maybe even yummier) than I what I remembered them to be. Cheesy, buttery, spicy, and flaky. Oh yum.

And before we go on to the step-by-step pictures, let's rewind a bit. Look at this (originally from here):


And this...


Versus this...


See the difference? I took the ugly-duckling pictures in March with no natural light. Can you even tell what the first two photos are? The horror! (The first cheddar and jalapeño post here. I even spelled cheddar wrong.) I took the pics at night. Fast forward nine months with natural light + a better camera + improved Photoshop skills = wow. I'm still kind of absorbing this in. Did I really improve? Oh... somebody pinch me... I must be dreaming. Except I'm not. I'm still in denial... this just can't be my photography... 

Wait... this is my photography... no it's not... yes it is... no it's not...

Err! As you can see above, from the two supporting paragraphs, the writer (me) has indirectly characterized the main character (also me) as a person who is in shock through her thoughts. (Do I sound fancy-schmancy-pantsy right now? I learned about indirect characterization in English class! My teacher gave out so many quizzes with questions on this VIT (very important term) that I now involuntary figure out how and where the author indirectly characterizes the characters. Like I'm some robot who specializes in identifying methods of indirect characterization in text.)

Okay. Let's get on to baking!

We'll, of course, need the Cheddar and Jalapeño Cheese. I used the Hickory Farms type, just like last year. If you can't find this, I'm sure some specialty cheese store will have something similar. Or, you could just use a completely different cheese and still make yummy biscuits, but just not this specific type of yummy biscuits. 

P.S. The "real" name of this is Jalapeño and Cheddar Blend.


Grate the cheese. Look at that. Don't you just want to reach into your monitor and grab that cheese? I certainly do.


Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.


Add the grated cheese and butter to the flour. Use a fork or a pastry blender to cut the butter into small pea-sized pieces. Inevitably, the oh-so-yummy cheese will get cut into smaller pieces as well. But that's alright. Just like spilled milk, there's no need to cry over cut-into-smaller-pieces of cheese. However, I would like to take this time state that yes, there is a need to shed some tears over cut-into-smaller-pieces of money. Because money is different, you know.


Take some sriracha sauce and mix it in milk. This will add some heat into your biscuits. 


Pour that into the flour-cheese mixture.  Look at the milk - it's now pink! But fear not, your biscuits won't come out pink.


Now mix the milk into the flour. Don't over mix though - just incorporate it.


Dust your (clean) counter top or a cutting board with flour.

Put the dough onto your dusted work surface. Knead it 20-25 times. Don't over-knead!!! You don't want biscuits that are hard as rocks!

Using a rolling pin, or your palms, flatten the dough to 1 inch high.

Dip the rim of a drinking glass or mug in some flour. Then, use the glass as a biscuit cutter and cut out the biscuits. Or, if you actually have biscuit cutters, you might want to use those. I actually have biscuit cutters, it's just that they were this wonderful shade of blue (think Tiffany Blue), but that wonderful shade of blue +  the color of this dough = a not so wonderful color anymore.


Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet. 

Melt some butter and mix in more sriracha sauce. As if these weren't buttery and spicy enough, we're adding in even more. Of course, if you can't take spicy foods, you can omit the sriracha sauce from the butter and the milk, but it really adds that extra oomph.

Brush the top of the biscuits with the butter mixture. 


Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. And you'll get this:


And look how awfully flaky the biscuits are!


Dig in while they're hot!



Cheddar and Jalapeño Biscuits 
Note: I ended up having some of the butter-glaze left over after brushing the tops of the biscuits. There wasn't that much left. However, if you want to save some money and butter, you can probably adjust the butter mixture to 1 Tablespoon and 1/4 tsp. Sriracha sauce. I haven't tried this yet, but it will most likely work.
yields: 8 biscuits, each being 3 to 4 inches in diameter

Ingredients: 

2 cups AP flour, and additional for dusting counter top
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 ounces Jalapeño and Cheddar Blend cheese, grated
6 Tbsp or 3/4 stick butter
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp Sriracha sauce, or other hot sauce, divided


Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in a large bowl. 
Add the grated cheese and 4 tablespoons of the butter to the dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender or a fork, cut the butter into small, pea-sized pieces. At this point, the butter pieces and the cheese should be well combined into the flour. 

Mix the milk and 1 tsp of the sriracha sauce together. Add milk mixture to the flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir until just incorporated. 

Lightly dust clean counter top or cutting board with flour. Transfer dough to work surface and knead 20-25 times. (Don't over knead!) Using a rolling pin or your palms, flatten the dough until it's 1 inch in height. Dip the edge of a biscuit cutter or drinking glass/mug (approximately 3 inches in diameter) into flour. Cut out biscuits. At the very end, when there is almost no more dough and the biscuit cutter can't be used to shape the biscuits, use your hands to shape the last of the dough into a biscuit. 

Transfer the cut-out biscuits onto a baking sheet. There is no need to grease the baking sheet. Make sure there is adequate space between each biscuit. 

Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the remaining 1/2 tsp of sriracha sauce to the butter and mix. Using a pastry brush, brush on the butter mixture on the tops of the biscuits. 

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the bottoms are nicely browned and the tops are just beginning to brown. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I love cheddar jalapenos biscuits and have been looking for an easy to make recipe without eggs. This looks like a perfect one! Will try it soon.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time repeating some recipes and it drives my family nuts. Granted, with 5 kids, there are some things that I end up making over and over. However because I blog, I often don't repeat some of the dishes that my family loved simply because I am always looking for the next great thing. I am a biscuit fiend, though, and would have a hard time not enjoying these spicy, cheesy treats again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those biscuits look fabulous. Cheddar flavoured with jalapenos...that alone already sounds heavenly.
    Happy New Year!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm bookmarking this recipe...love the biscuits with the jalapeno and cheddar, and that special hot sauce...yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love savory scones ... uh biscuits. Been eyeing this since last year but for the life of me can't find jalapeno cheese. I guess I could just use cheddar and mix in some dried chilly flakes in the dough?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yummy! I would make these twice too... don't blame you! Love that these have jalapeno! I love adding sriracha in everything :) :) Thanks for sharing :) I've missed visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look soooooooo good! I will definitely give them a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...